At The Oaks Academy we believe that students should be given a wide range of opportunities to develop and practise leadership skills in preparation for life beyond school.
It would be impossible to list all the opportunities students have to take on leadership roles at the school, so this is just a selection of what is currently on offer. Many Student Leadership activities will support our school aims to inspire, believe, achieve.
- inspiring all our students to meet and exceed their potential through high quality teaching and enrichment beyond the curriculum
- students believing in themselves and contributing meaningfully to our community
- students achieving academic excellence through a supportive environment and challenging curriculum
Aims of our Student Leadership programme
- To empower students to work in partnership with staff and other students towards shared goals
- To enable creativity to flourish as the school community benefits from the wealth of experiences, ideas, skills and sense of fun that students bring
- To provide opportunities for students to develop leadership skills through a variety of projects which impact positively on well-being for both students and staff at The Oaks.
- To prepare students for Higher Education and for achieving personal and professional excellence in life after formal education
Our Student Leadership programme provides
- Formal and informal learning opportunities to develop individuals as leaders
- Processes and structures for student representation and the incorporation of students’ views into decision-making in the life of the school
The Oaks Academy School will
- Provide a Student Leadership a pin badge and KS4 Student Leaders a purple tie so they can be easily identified around school site by all members of the community
- Provide all of our Student Leaders with an accredited Student Leadership qualification through SSAT
- Provide a wide range of participation and leadership opportunities which cater for all students in the school.
- Provide recognition of all Student Leadership roles
- Encourage the development of student participation and leadership skills through classroom practice by using the skills developed within the CHARACTER curriculum
- Encourage students to differentiate between student participation and Student Leadership
- Provide students with access to key staff for support and guidance
Student Leader expectations
Student Leaders are the school’s role models. You need to be a student who works hard to reach our schools expectation of good behaviour, no unauthorised absence, constant punctuality; you also need to be always in full and correct school uniform. As a Student Leader you will be required to wear your Student Leadership identification and fully participate in the wider life of the school
What Personal Qualities do I need?
- Like working with and talking to younger students
- Be able to build good working relationships with staff
- Want to make a lasting impact at school and be involved in decision-making
- Be able to work well in a team
- Have good time management skills e.g. balancing commitments
- Be polite, mature, respectful, responsible, and kind at all times
For more information on Student Leadership please contact Mrs Abberley.